Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

"Minimalism" the draconian way to downsize? - Downsizing Step 6



Today, Brian Lehrer - NPR show in WNYC - covered the topic of minimalism.  To hear the Brian Lehrer's 15 minute show click here

So interesting for me in my downsizing saga  to hear this show on the Minimalist way of living.  These "minimalists" are touring with their book "Everything that remains" a memoir on their  conversion to minimalism.   (click here for their blog)  

The one thought that stayed with me after hearing this interview is the importance of figuring out what adds value to our lives or brings us joy.  Basically we should evaluate all of our belongings with that lens  -  so that we keep stuff that serves a purpose or brings us joy.  The authors recommend that this should be re-evaluated every so often because what we value today may change tomorrow.  

Another thought that "rang the bell" is that I may be an organized hoarder.  I tend to have a lovely uncluttered home on the outside and but  I certainly keep tons of other stuff neatly put away out of sight.     Net, these  "just in case" items are the ones that need to go independent of "sunk costs".   I have certainly come to terms with this as I sold things like the elliptical machine on craigslist  for a fraction of the original price and am getting ready for the tag sale which will certainly have rock  bottom prices.

Perfect show at a perfect time for me!







No comments:

Post a Comment